Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Building Habits

It's been about a week since we finished going through our entire house. I am amazed at the difference in our lives! I love knowing where everything is and being able to put things away quickly. It all goes back to having a place for everything and putting everything in it's place!

Aside from just decluttering, my husband and I both have some habits we are working hard to address:


  • Doing the dishes as soon as we are done with them. Before we would let the sink fill which made doing the dishes an actual chore. Instead, we spend the one to two minutes it takes when we are done using them and finish it. I love not having a pile of dishes to think about and dread washing. 
  • Making the bed daily. This one has had double the payoff. Not only does my entire room feel cleaner after this one task, but it also forces me to get out of bed a few minutes earlier and not hit the snooze that extra time. Making the bed before we leave the room gives me a sense of accomplishment before I even start the rest of my day. 
  • Everything in its place. It is so easy to leave things out on the counter and think, "Oh, I'll just get it later." Then you are left with piles in every room and an hour of picking up before you can start to clean. Now, we are both working on just putting things away when we are done with them! (Insane concept, no? :) ) I also do a nightly sweep to make sure things are picked up and the couch pillows are straightened before we go to bed. This way when I wake up, a clean house is waiting for me! Bonus: I think I cut my cleaning time in half simply because I didn't have to pick up the house before I could actually clean it. That means more time with my love... 
Just a week of these three things, and I have already noticed a difference in my attitude towards our home. I love not looking around and not having piles of stuff everywhere that need to be put away. I no longer feel like I am using spending time with my spouse as a means of procrastinating on housework. 



What are some simple habits that you do to make your time at home more enjoyable?

No comments:

Post a Comment