Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Celebrating Success

Thanks to the incredible generosity of our families, I returned from my trip to Illinois with a stockpile of baby things that needed to find their home in our home. I had already transformed our office into a nursery with a cloffice (closet office), but aside from a dresser, that left Jr with little storage.

I spent the next week taking things from the nursery, moving them to a place in a cabinet, taking things from that cabinet, and moving them to a closet, and then switching the items in that closet to a different cabinet. It was exhausting! But the smaller the pile of baby things sitting on the floor of the nursery the more accomplished I felt.

This also spurred on my desire to clear out the clutter of our home. I went through cabinet by cabinet, closet by closet until every nook and cranny of our place had been weeded through (with the exception of our desk).

Knowing I had an insane amount of clothes, I saved my mountain for the end. I knew I needed those small successes to give me the motivation to finish the task.

Side Note: I am sad that I didn't take before and after pictures of everything, because there really is a tremendous amount of change. I think I was so overwhelmed by the pile to donate in our living room, that I never felt like I truly accomplished anything until we dropped the load off to the donation station.

Looking back, I feel so much more free in our home. I was able to clear off some spaces to make dusting easier, I know where everything is in our house which makes clean up a breeze, and I no longer wake up avoiding the piles of clutter around my home.

Here is the mountain I had to tackle. 
Note the shoe rack behind the tote of shoes.... 

Before: So many t-shirts and sweatshirts!!! 


Some of these clothes I have had since high school. There are about 5 different sizes of things. 

Pile of things we got rid of. There is an under the bed tote at the bottom of that full of kitchen ware. *Note: I kept my 31 tote. We just used that to haul things to the donation station :) 

Husband's t-shirts piles are a little straighter! 
Moved the other shoe rack under my scarves.  This one is for boots. 

I love having my t-shirts in the bins at the bottom. I no longer have to dig through an entire stack. 

Organizer I bought for my undershirts. This freed up an entire drawer in my dresser! 

What holds you back from getting rid of clutter in your home? 




No comments:

Post a Comment