Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Getting Organized to Organize!

The more podcasts I listen to and blogs I read, the more I can't wait to get home and start revamping our home. I am motivated and inspired to take control of our home and the items inside. But alas, I am currently on vacation enjoying some family time before our little one arrives this July. So what have I decided to do while I am away from home? Start planning out those organizing projects!

I decided that in order to keep my thoughts straight, buying this notebook was absolutely necessary (and because I am a bit of a notebook junkie...)


I began by mentally walking through our home and making a master list of the big areas that I want to tackle. I made a few notes on some spaces, but most of my detailed plans would happen later.


I then found a great room organization planner on the blog Gifts We Use. It is super simple to use, and I love the design of it. What I struggled with though was the fact that I am 12 hours from my printer and trying to plan away from home. Insert aforementioned perfect notebook here.





I took the headings and main ideas from the Gifts We Use organizer and made a smaller version to best fit my needs. Starting with our master closet, I wrote my goal in the top right corner, "To have a purged, sorted, easy-to-use/maintain closet." I then wrote down my lists of things that work well and things that don't work.

Underneath I drew what our closet used to look like when it was organized/ how I want it to look when we are finished. Pictures and details of this project will come when I get back to our place!

I then made my Wish List of stuff I already know I want and made a section for notes. I love love loved the tasks that the other organizer had, so I wrote them down under notes. Sort, purge, place, contain, tweak.





On the back of the page I made a place for reflection. I really loved these four questions from the template:
  • Were your goals met?
  • Are your systems working? 
    • What needs to change? 
  • Does the space make you feel more organized? 

While we are discussing it, I think it is so valuable to take time to reflect on how the organizing went after it is finished. Getting organized isn't a "one and done" event. It is a process that takes time and development. Just because you think an idea may work does not mean that it is actually the best place or plan. Just like you don't clean your kitchen counters once and leave it, you don't organize a space one time without needing to reevaluate it.



I was so excited after writing this plan for the closet, I went ahead and wrote out some ideas for our dressers and hall closet too. I really can't wait to get started on everything!

What is your best way of organizing what needs to be organized? 
Share your ideas in the comments below! 




No comments:

Post a Comment